Below you will find a summary of the code requirements for Residential Roof Work within the Village of Kildeer.
Required items to submit with application:
- Building Permit Application (signed by homeowner)
- Copy of State Roofer’s License
- Copy of contract with scope of work, material to be used, and total cost of project
- Contractor Registration Application, $1,000,000 Certificate of Insurance listing homeowner as the additional insured pursuant to a written contract. There is a $50 fee for registration.
- Homeowners Association Approval (if necessary, written letter or email approval)
- Structural roof components shall be capable of supporting new roofing being installed.
- Roofing shall not be installed on deteriorated sheathing, decking or existing roofing.
- Roofing shall not be installed over wood shake, slate, clay, cement, or asbestos-cement tile.
- Roofing shall not be installed when the roof has two or more applications of any type of roof covering.
- Approved Roofing Materials – Asphalt shingles shall be a lifetime warranty, architectural shingle. Composition roof shingles, Wood shakes and wood shingles shall be fastened with nails. Roof sheathing shall be one-half inch (1/2“).
- Install roofing per 2009 International Residential Code and the Manufacturers installation instructions.
- Existing vents, flashing, metal edgings, drain outlets, etc. shall be replaced if rusted, damaged, deteriorated or installed in locations not in compliance with the building codes.
- Provide attic ventilation in compliance with 2009 International Residential Code.
- Ice and water shield or equivalent is required at all roof edges 3’ inside building line and valleys.
- Roofing Material Not Approved: Metal Roof Shingles, Metal Roof Panels
How much will my permit cost?
- Processing fee $ 25
- Permit fee $ 75
- Final Roof
- Call before 4:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection a minimum of 24 hrs. in advance. You can request an a.m. or p.m. inspection, Monday thru Friday.
- Give the permit number and address when calling in for inspections.
- If the inspector needs to return more than once for the same phase of any required inspection, a $100.00 re-inspection fee is required to be paid before re-inspection.
- No re-inspection on the same phase of construction will be done in the same 24-hour period.
This handout is written as a guide to common questions and problems. It is not intended nor shall it be considered a complete set of requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 847-438-6000 for further information.Print This Page