Below you will find a summary of the code requirements for Sidewalks and Walkways within the Village of Kildeer.
Required items to submit with application:
- Building Permit Application  (signed by homeowner)
- Copy of contract with scope of work and total cost of project
- Contractor Registration Form , $1,000,000 Certificate of Insurance listing homeowner as the additional insured pursuant to a written contract. There is a $50 fee for registration.
- Plat of Survey – 3 Copies, showing all existing structures, accessories and flatwork with the proposed location of the sidewalk
- Homeowners Association Approval (if necessary, written letter or email approval)
- All work shall be installed in compliance with the 2009 International Residential Code.
- A plan review is required by the Building, Zoning, and / or the Engineering Depts.
- Pavers or Concrete shall not hinder the natural flow of drainage away from foundations.
- All vegetation needs to be removed before the gravel base is installed – a gravel base is required.
- All sidewalks shall be formed, with string lines in place at the time of inspection.
- Sidewalks shall be a minimum of 36″ wide for egress.
- Call JULIE (1-800-892-0123) before any excavation begins.
What materials are required?
- 6 X 6 #10 wire mesh.
- 4″ of gravel base is required, minimum CA-6, compacted.
- 4″ of concrete minimum is required (not 3 1/2″). A 6-bag mix per cubic yard, with 3% to 6% air entrainment is required.
- Submit specifications indicating the amount of base and the amount of bedding. Patios require a minimum of 6-12 inches of base and 1-1 ½ inches of bedding. Install the base in 4-inch lifts.
- Edge restraints must be installed.
- The base, bedding, and paver bricks shall be compacted.
Where can my sidewalk or walkway be located?
- Concrete or paver bricks may not be placed in any easements
How much will my permit cost?
- Plan Review $75.00
- Permit $100.00
- Compact Base
- Final Grade
- Call before 4:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection a minimum of 24 hrs. in advance. You can request an a.m. or p.m. inspection, Monday thru Friday.
- Give the permit number and address when calling in for inspections.
- If the inspector needs to return more than once for the same phase of any required inspection, a $100.00 re-inspection fee is required to be paid before re-inspection.
- No re-inspection on the same phase of construction will be done in the same 24-hour period.
This handout is written as a guide to common questions and problems. It is not intended nor shall it be considered a complete set of requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 847-438-6000 for further information.