Below you will find a summary of the code requirements for Fireplaces within the Village of Kildeer.
Required items to submit with applications:
Building Permit Application (signed by homeowner)
- HOA Approval (if necessary, written letter or email approval)
- Architecture Committee Approval
- Contractor Registration Application, $1,000,000 Certificate of Insurance listing homeowner as the additional insured pursuant to a written contract. There is a $50 fee for registration.
- A copy of the contract with scope of work and total cost of the project
- Plat of survey showing the location of the proposed fireplace on the house or in the yard
3 sets of plans shall be submitted for review and shall contain:
- Indicate the dimensions of the fireplace and distances from the property lines.
- A drawing showing the type of foundation, trench or footing & wall, with dimensions.
- Show the new to existing foundation connection.
- Elevation drawings of all four sides showing the location of the fireplace in relation to windows & doors.
- An electrical plan showing the location of all receptacles, switches, lights, and junction boxes in the room in which the fireplace is located.
- Show the roof and flue connection. Indicate the type of flashing and shingles.
- Show the type and size of the header above the firebox.
- Submit a gas line drawing and show the location of the gas shut off (outside the fireplace within 6 feet of the firebox).
- Show the size and location of the combustion air intake into the firebox.
- Show the clearances between combustible framing members and the fireplace.
- Call JULIE (1-800-892-0123) before any excavation begins.
HOW MUCH WILL MY PERMIT COST?
- Plan Review $75
- Permit Base Fee
- $100 plus Gas & Electric permit fees
- Call before 4:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection a minimum of 24 hrs. in advance. You can request an a.m. or p.m. inspection, Monday thru Friday.
- Give the permit number and address when calling in for inspections.
- If the inspector needs to return more than once for the same phase of any required inspection, a $100.00 re-inspection fee is required to be paid before re-inspection.
- No re-inspection on the same phase of construction will be done in the same 24-hour period.
This handout is written as a guide to common questions and problems. It is not intended nor shall it be considered a complete set of requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 847-438-6000 for further information.Print This Page