Below you will find a summary of the code requirements for Generators within the Village of Kildeer.
Required items to submit with application:
- Building Permit Application (signed by homeowner)
- Contractor Registration Application, $1,000,000 Certificate of Insurance listing homeowner as the additional insured pursuant to a written contract. There is a $50 fee for registration.
- Plat of survey indicating placement of proposed generator – 3 copies
- Manufacturer Specification sheet/installation instructions – 1 Set
- Contract with scope of work and total cost of project
- Homeowners Association Approval (if necessary, written letter or email approval)
- All generators should be installed according to the manufacturer’s installation instructions. All work shall be done in compliance with the 2011 National Electric Code and the 2009 Fuel Code.
Where can my generator be located?
- Village code requires generators be located in rear or side yards.
- The installation of the generator shall not be located in an easement or setback.
- Residents are advised to check with their Homeowner’s Association (if applicable) for approval.
How much will my permit cost?
- Plan Review $75.00
- Electrical Permit Fee $100.00
- Gas Line Permit Fee $ 100.00
- Gas Line Inspection (if underground).
- Final Inspection. The electrician must by on site for the electrical inspection in order to open the electric panel.
- Call before 4:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection a minimum of 24 hrs. in advance. You can request an a.m. or p.m. inspection, Monday thru Friday.
- Give the permit number and address when calling in for inspections.
- If the inspector needs to return more than once for the same phase of any required inspection, a $100.00 re-inspection fee is required to be paid before re-inspection.
- No re-inspection on the same phase of construction will be done in the same 24-hour period.
This handout is written as a guide to common questions and problems. It is not intended nor shall it be considered a complete set of requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 847-438-6000 for further information.