Below you will find a summary of the code requirements for Room Additions and Screen Rooms within the Village of Kildeer.
Required items to submit with application:
- Building Permit Application (signed by homeowner)
- 3 copies of the certified Plat of Survey showing the location and size of the proposed addition to scale, including setbacks.
- 3 copies of complete set of building plans.
- A list of construction materials.
- Copy of contract with scope of work and total cost of project
- Contractor Registration Form, $1,000,000 Certificate of Insurance listing homeowner as the additional insured pursuant to a written contract. There is a $50 fee for registration.
- Homeowners Association approval (if necessary, written letter or email approval)
- Architecture Committee approval
- $200 deposit
- Approved Property Alteration Request from the Lake County Health Department Environmental Division if the home is serviced by an on-site septic system.
All work shall be installed in compliance with the 2009 International Residential & Mechanical Codes, 2011 National Electric Code, and the 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code with local amendments.
Plans shall include all items required by the 2009 International Residential Building codes including, but not limited to the following items:
- Light and ventilation schedule
- Egress window schedule, including basement
- Ceiling heights
- Header and beam sizes
- Truss and TJI floor joist layout and specs stamped by an engineer.
- Door schedule
- Electric plan and panel schedule. Indicate the availability of additional circuits.
- Show grades of all lumber.
- Provide live and dead load requirements
- Wall section detail – Foundation through Roof, identifying materials. If trusses are to be installed, submit specification and calculations. Ice and water shield or equivalent is required at all roof edges and valleys.
- Mechanical Plan and equipment schedule, including combustion air calculations.
- Identify all glazing in hazardous locations
- Show required smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
- Stair, handrail and guardrail details. 7 3/4″maximum riser & 1O” minimum tread. Three risers require a handrail on one side 34″-38″ high. A 36″ guardrail is required when the rise is 30″or more above grade or floor level.
- Footing/foundation plan including insulation
- Footing, drainage and sump details
- Fireplace detail, manufacturers specifications
- Attic and crawl space ventilation requirements with the access locations indicated.
- Insulation minimum R22 in walls R38 in ceilings
- Bathroom plan
- Plumbing plan, riser diagrams fixture schedule and materials list.
- Masonry flashing and lintel detail
Where can my addition be located?
- A room addition built after completion of the main building must maintain single-family residence lot line distances, including rear, sides and building line setbacks.
- Typical setbacks are 75′ front yard setback, and a minimum of 35’side and rear yard setback.
- The existing grade and drainage of this property can in no way be changed from the original plan as approved by the Village Engineer.
- Call JULIE (1-800-892-0123) for utility locations.
How much will my permit cost?
- Plan Review 1% of Construction cost (Min. $ 75)
- Permit fee determined by the scope of the work
- Required Inspections will depend on the scope of work. A list of required inspections will be provided with permit approval.
- Call before 4:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection a minimum of 24 hrs. in advance. You can request an a.m. or p.m. inspection, Monday thru Friday.
- Give the permit number and address when calling in for inspections.
- If the inspector needs to return more than once for the same phase of any required inspection, a $100.00 re-inspection fee is required to be paid before re-inspection.
- No re-inspection on the same phase of construction will be done in the same 24-hour period.
This handout is written as a guide to common questions and problems. It is not intended nor shall it be considered a complete set of requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 847-438-6000 for further information.Print This Page